Saturday, May 3, 2014

Grilled Flank Steak with Black Beans, Corn and Tomatoes

Since the weather has been nice in NC, and I am loving the fact we can grill outside I decided to find some recipes that are quick and easy for the grill. Searching through my pins I found this recipe from skinnytaste.com for grilled flank steam with black beans, corn and tomatoes! I decided to make this a salad since we are "trying" to eat healthier. Granted I did also serve this with a side of guacamole and chips, so overall not sure how healthy this meal really was.

What I loved about this recipe is for the salsa part (black beans, corn, tomatoes, etc) you can really customize based on your taste or what you have lying around the kitchen. I am a big fan of spicy so next time I might dice up a jalapeño and definitely some avocado or jicama. Or maybe add just a lil garlic too.

When making this recipe I totally underestimated the number of limes it takes to get 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice. I bought 2 and barely had 1/8 cup. So I had to add some lemon juice to make up the difference.

This recipe was adapted from skinnytaste.com.

Ingredients: 

Steak Marinade

  • 1 1/2lb flank steak
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • fresh cracked pepper to taste
Black Bean, Corn and Tomato Salad
  • 3 tbsp red onion, minced (I used half a red onion)
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice (suggest 5-6 limes)
  • 2 medium vine ripe tomatos, diced (I used 3 tomatoes)
  • 1 cup corn kernels (I just used an entire package)
  • 2 tbsp finely minced cilantro
  • kosher salt and fresh pepper to taste
Directions: 
  • Season steak with the crushed garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Make sure to gently massage into the meat for even distribution. Set aside for 5-10 minutes. 
  • Combine red onions, olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper in a medium bowl and set aside for a few minutes. Add tomatoes, black beans, corn, cilantro and other ingredients you choose. Set aside. 
  • Heat a lightly greased grill or grill pan on high heat. Grill steak on high heat, 6-8 minutes on each side until your desired degree of doneness. Let the meat rest about 5 minutes before slicing. Slice the beef into thin slices across the grain, place on a platter (or in my case salad) and top with the corn, black bean and tomato salad. 

Let me know how you have adapted this recipe to make it your own!

Bon Appetite and Happy Pinning!!!
By Jennifer Shelton

No comments:

Post a Comment