Monday, May 19, 2014

DIY Catch-All Bowls - Pinterest Fail!!

Not everything we find on Pinterest is a win. One of my favorite blogs posted about making your own Catch-All Bowls. I was so incredibly excited to try this because I am always looking at these types of bowls at Anthropologie.

So off to Michael's I went. The Small Things blog where my inspiration for the project, used acrylic paint. The source they used (The Lovely Drawer) had used opaque ceramic paint. At Michael's in the glass painting area I was drawn to the Martha Stewart paints. They seemed to be paints that you could use on wood, glass, etc. I thought these would be perfect since that is what was used by The Small Things Blog. I needed paintbrushes as well and just bought one of the combo sets that was $8. I found the dipping bowls at Target for $1.99 and they are made by Threshold. I can't seem to find the link online.


So according to the directions just paint away! I did two bowls and realized that simple lines and basic polka dot patterns are a lot harder then I thought. The good thing is that if the paint is still wet you can use a damp paper towel and start over. I am not really upset with how my design turned out since it was my first time. However, the paint application was not as smooth as I thought it would be.









When painting I used cheap brushes and the bristles would fall out onto the paint and glass. I was constantly picking out the strands and ruining the paint. Also I used painters tape on the 2-toned bowl and it left remnants of paint on the bowl. I almost need to sand the bowl to make it smooth. I was hoping when the paint dried it would smooth out, but you can still see all the brush strokes.

I let my bowl dry over night since I wanted to make sure that the paint was dry. In the morning I pre-heated my oven to 150 degrees and baked for 30 minutes. The results are below. You can't tell in the pictures but basically it just looks like I painted a bowl. In my head I thought it would have a more glossy finish and similar to the bowls I love at Anthropologie.

My advice for you is if you are looking for something with a glossy and smooth finish go to a paint your own pottery store and work with their products. Not to mention the kiln will bake the paint on and give your bowls that glossy Anthropologie finish!



On a related note, I used the same paint on some plastic frames I bought at Ikea, and the paint application was the same as the glass. It got cakey and you can see my brush strokes. I am going to try and spray paint the plastic items to save these frames! Worst case scenario I just head back to Ikea!










Happy Pinning!
By Jennifer Shelton

No comments:

Post a Comment