Monday, June 30, 2014

Black Bean Quinoa Bowl with Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette

So I decided to take a different take on my salad recipe this week and decided upon a black bean quinoa bowl that I saw on Pinterest. Not to mention my husband is tired of my "bunny" food and thinks I am trying to starve him with all the lettuce, kale and arugula. Haha!

This salad is all over Pinterest so I decided to make it. The recipe originated on the Veggie and the Beast Feast. The recipe on the website is vegan and gluten free but I adapted it slightly. I noted below where I switched ingredients, or added additional ingredients.

Black Bean Quinoa Bowl Salad Ingredients:

  • 2 teaspoons of canola oil
  • 1/4 diced onion
  • 1 cup quinoa 
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/4 red onion - cut into thin slices (I just diced)
  • 1/2 red pepper - cut into this slices (I just diced)
  • 1/2 yellow pepper - cut into this slices (I just diced)
  • Cilantro, for garnish
  • Optional Toppings: Sliced avocado, grilled chicken, mango, crushed tortilla chips, monterey jack cheese with jalapeƱos
Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette Ingredients: 
  • 1/2 cup cilantro
  • 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon of honey (I used agave)
  • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1 lime, juiced and zested
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1/ teaspoon salt 
Directions: 
  • Heat 2 tsp of canola oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped red onion and cook until starting to soften (2-3 minutes). Pour in the dry quinoa and toast, stirring frequently for 3-5 minutes. Add 2 cups water and salt, bring to a boil and cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the water is absorbed. Set aside. 
  • Toss together the cooked quinoa with the black beans, red onion, peppers in a bowl. 
  • To make the vinaigrette, combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until completely smooth. 
  • Pour the vinaigrette over the quinoa and toss well. Add additional toppings such as grilled chicken, avocado, cheese!

I forgot to mention that I added grilled chicken that had a mexican rub on them. Just to give the salad more flavor. I served the meal and forgot to take a picture of the finished product! My apologies!!

This salad made a lot so I was able to re-use the salad and served it with tacos (see tomorrow's post) the next day. The only thing I did notice about the salad is that it dried out. So to make it fresh I added another juiced lime and it perked the salad right up. 

What else would you add to this salad? 

Happy Pinning!
By Jennifer Shelton


No comments:

Post a Comment