Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Lemon Artichoke and Asparagus Pasta

I am not going to lie, I am starting to get lazy about cooking indoors. It is SO much easier to throw some grilled chicken or steak on the grill then messing up my clean kitchen. Also, my husband does the grilling so that leaves me time to set the table and maybe catch up on my blog reading! Haha! But, when it recently rained I feel guilty sending him out into the rain to grill. Which meant that I had to come up with a quick dinner for us.

The recipe for Lemon Artichoke and Asparagus Pasta I found via Pinterest but was originally on Creme De La Crumb. Speaking of which this is a great blog and love her recipes! I made a few tweaks to the recipe which I called out below. I highly recommend using Trader Joe's Lemon Pepper Pappardelle if you live near one. I also really like a lemon taste in my food so I increased the amount of lemon in the recipe. Depending on your love of lemon adjust accordingly!
This recipe takes about 20 minutes to make and is enough for 2 people and leftovers for lunch!

Ingredients:

  • 8 ounces bow tie pasta (I used Trader Joe's Lemon Pepper pappardelle) 
  • 1 - 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed (I used Trader Joe's frozen artichokes)
  • 12 asparagus spears chopped into 1 inch segments
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice + 1 teaspoon lemon zest (I used juice of one lemon and zest of 1 lemon)
  • 2 teaspoons garlic, minced (I used 2 tablespoons - I LOVE garlic!!)
  • 2 tablespoons of butter
  • 2 tablespoons of flour
  • 2 cups milk or fat free half and half
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • shaved parmesan
Directions: 
  • Spray a large pan with cooking spray. Add artichoke hearts, lemon juice and lemon zest and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Add asparagus and cook another 2-4 minutes until tender, stirring throughout. Remove artichokes and asparagus with a slotted spoon and set aside. 
  • Add butter and garlic to pan and stir for one minute until garlic is fragrant. Add flour and stir until mixture forms a ball or clump (you are basically making a roux). Slowly which in milk until mixture is smooth. 
  • Add pasta and stir to coat. Stir in artichokes and asparagus. Season with salt and pepper to state and garnish with shaved parmesan cheese. 
Since I wasn't planning on making this for dinner originally I didn't have shrimp on hand, however next time I would totally add some grilled shrimp or possible some grilled chicken. 

The other thing I would add is some 1 tablespoon of red pepper flakes with the butter and garlic. Only add the red pepper if you like a little spice with your meal!

Let me know your thoughts if you make this!

Happy Pinning!

No comments:

Post a Comment