The recipe for Lemon Artichoke and Asparagus Pasta I found via Pinterest but was originally on Creme De La Crumb. Speaking of which this is a great blog and love her recipes! I made a few tweaks to the recipe which I called out below. I highly recommend using Trader Joe's Lemon Pepper Pappardelle if you live near one. I also really like a lemon taste in my food so I increased the amount of lemon in the recipe. Depending on your love of lemon adjust accordingly!
- 8 ounces bow tie pasta (I used Trader Joe's Lemon Pepper pappardelle)
- 1 - 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed (I used Trader Joe's frozen artichokes)
- 12 asparagus spears chopped into 1 inch segments
- 1 tbsp lemon juice + 1 teaspoon lemon zest (I used juice of one lemon and zest of 1 lemon)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced (I used 2 tablespoons - I LOVE garlic!!)
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 2 cups milk or fat free half and half
- salt and pepper to taste
- shaved parmesan
- Spray a large pan with cooking spray. Add artichoke hearts, lemon juice and lemon zest and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Add asparagus and cook another 2-4 minutes until tender, stirring throughout. Remove artichokes and asparagus with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add butter and garlic to pan and stir for one minute until garlic is fragrant. Add flour and stir until mixture forms a ball or clump (you are basically making a roux). Slowly which in milk until mixture is smooth.
- Add pasta and stir to coat. Stir in artichokes and asparagus. Season with salt and pepper to state and garnish with shaved parmesan cheese.
Since I wasn't planning on making this for dinner originally I didn't have shrimp on hand, however next time I would totally add some grilled shrimp or possible some grilled chicken.
The other thing I would add is some 1 tablespoon of red pepper flakes with the butter and garlic. Only add the red pepper if you like a little spice with your meal!
Let me know your thoughts if you make this!