Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Poppy Seed Popovers!

Remember when I said that every recipe on Pinterest isn't always a win? Well this recipe took my two  attempts before I was 100% happy! There was a recipe on Super Golden Bakes for poppy seed popovers that looked delicious. I make popovers every so often so I thought it was odd that you didn't use a blender or food processor to stir.

Since this was a new recipe I wanted to make sure I followed it exactly. However, my lil popovers came out all puffy and pretty, but then flopped when cooling. I tasted them and they were sort of blah, so back to Pinterest! Where I found a recipe from Food & Wine Orange popovers. I didn't have any oranges in the house so I swapped the oranges for lemon! Lemon poppy popovers sounded relish! I also had some Trader Joe's lemon curd in my fridge that would go perfect with them.

So I adapted the Food & Wine Orange popover recipe and changed it to Lemon Poppy Popovers! Plus how fun is the name?

Ingredients:

  • 3 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
  • 1 1/4 cups milk
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/4 all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions: 
  • Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
  • Brush the popover pan or muffin tin with butter and coat all sides well. Heat the pan in the oven for 5 minutes, butter should be a nutty brown. 
  • In a blender, mix the eggs with the sugar and lemon zest. Add the milk and 3 tablespoons of the melted butter and vanilla and mix for a few seconds. Add the dry ingredients and blend until smooth (about 30 seconds). 
  • Carefully fill the pan with the popover pan halfway with the batter. 
  • Bake the popovers for about 30 minutes, until they are risen and browned. Turn the popovers onto a serving platter and serve warm with preserves or lemon curd. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment