Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Taco Tuesday!!

One of our favorite date nights was on Tuesdays in Boston was Taco Tuesday at this lil dive bar in Fanueil Hall. This restaurant was located in the basement and for some reason we just loved it. Not to mention the tacos were only $1 which left extra money for margaritas!!

So since it is Tuesday it only seems appropriate to share my Taco Tuesday meal I made last Tuesday!! This is a combination of recipes since I couldn't decide on one specific way to make them.

I wanted to make a combination of both fish (cod) and chicken tacos. The leftover chicken tacos I made into a salad. For the fish we used cod, but you could also use mahimahi or any other white flakey fish that you choose.

To cook the fish we used our salt block again! We coated the fish with olive oil so it wouldn't stick to the salt block. And the chicken we just grilled and I put taco seasoning on it. Super simple!

Now lets talk about toppings for the tacos! In addition to the normal lettuce, salsa, tomato, and cheese we served the following toppings for the tacos...

Guacamole: My own recipe! Just put into bowl and mash!

  • 2 avocados
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tablespoon garlic
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 chopped jalapeño
  • 1 seeded/chopped tomato
  • 1 lime juiced - and zested

Lime Crema: From Foodess.com. Just put into bowl and stir!

  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
  • juice and zest of 1 lime
  • salt

Mango Avocado: Recipe adapted from organicgardening.com

  • 1 mango, pitted, peeled and cubed 
  • 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and cubed
  • 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
  • Juice of 1 lime, plus wedges 
  • Chopped cilantro to garnish
  • salt and black pepper to taste

Cabbage Slaw: From Foodess.com. Just put into bowl and stir!
  • 4 cups shredded cabbage (I used a bag of shredded coleslaw mix - I was being lazy!)
  • 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
  • 2 green onions, minced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 3 tbsp distilled white vinegar
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 2 tsp white sugar
  • 1/2 chopped jalapeño (This wasn't in the original recipe but I added!)

Results were DELISH and for the toppings you just put everything in their respective bowls, then toss/mash/stir accordingly! The best part is since many of the ingredients for the toppings were the same, so I cut up all the vegetables/fruits at one time and divided everything into thirds.  This made it super simple and quick to make all 4 toppings. Not to mention all the leftovers make great salads for lunch!

To serve I put everything on a tray and we all enjoyed! Also, not pictured is the black bean quinoa salad which I posted the other day. Shhh don't tell my guests I served them leftover salad!!

Happy Pinning!

By Jennifer Shelton

No comments:

Post a Comment