Monday, July 14, 2014

Meatless Monday - Portobello Mushroom Burger with Spicy Avocado Sauce Recipe


So I don't know about you but I have been eating grilled chicken and burgers non-stop. The other day I was going to pick up some ground beef for burgers and just couldn't get myself to buy it. So I was wondered back over to the vegetable section to see if anything inspired me. And that is where I saw the portobello mushrooms. I quickly took out my phone and searched Pinterest for some recipes. And that is where I found a recipe by Martha Stewart for portobello mushroom burgers with a spicy avocado sauce. Oddly enough I had all the ingredients at home! SCORE!

Now the next trick was getting my husband to eat the portobello burgers! Haha! These are so simple to make. And I served them like traditional burgers witmonteray jack cheese with jalapeños, fresh garden tomatoes, and cabbage slaw. Result was a SUCCESS and my husband loved the switch up. Secretly I think he really like the spicy avocado sauce and just tolerated the mushroom! 

Ingredients: 
  • 4 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, roughly chopped
  • 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
  • 1 tablespoon horseradish
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • 1 jalapeño chile finiley chopped
  • 4 soft rolls
  • Sliced tomatos
  • Sliced monteray jack cheese with jalapeños if desired
  • Cabbage Slaw (see recipe below)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss mushrooms with pool and 2/3 cup water; season with salt and pepper. Arrange stem side down; cover loosely with foil. Roast until tender, 30 to 45 minutes. 

When mushrooms are cooking, in a medium mixing bowl combine avocado, mustard, horseradish, lime juice, and jalapeño. 

Toast rolls and layer each bottom half with tomato, portobellos and each top half with avocado mixture. 

Cabbage Slaw Recipe - from Foodess.com. Just put into bowl and stir!
  • 4 cups shredded cabbage (I used a bag of shredded coleslaw mix - I was being lazy!)
  • 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
  • 2 green onions, minced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 3 tbsp distilled white vinegar
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 2 tsp white sugar
  • 1/2 chopped jalapeño (This wasn't in the original recipe but I added!)
I also want to introduce you to the best/most potent horseradish we found in Charleston. Before our wedding we were at Pearlz Oyster Bar talking to the bartender about how we loved strong horseradish with our oysters. He then brought out Nasal Napalm. And let me tell you this stuff is STRONG! But so amazingly good and perfect for oysters, shrimp cocktail or my favorite Bloody Mary's. I believe the only place you can buy this is in Charleston at Pepper Palace. But you can also order online too! If you are in Charleston and go to Pepper Palace to sample the nasal napalm make sure to only taste the smallest amount. My brother-in-law took a whole spoonful and I don't think he fully recovered for a few hours! 
Happy Pinning!

No comments:

Post a Comment