Saturday, April 19, 2014

Wedding Shower - Backyard and Garden Party

This post is a combination of my shower and my friend Kate's shower. Both were held in the summer. One was a tea party theme, while the other was brunch. However, both had lots of Pinterest inspiration as well as a Kate's very talented family that needs to start a business throwing showers. From food to deceptions this family knows how to throw the most perfect parties!!

Kate's shower was held at her parents house and was a tea party theme. Not to mention it was being held outdoors so we were crossing both our fingers and toes it would not rain that day. We were so incredibly blessed with sunshine and the perfect temperatures. Here is the Pinterest board I started to get some ideas for her shower!!

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/167196204886044553/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/167196204885881342/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/167196204886955124/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/167196204886032894/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/167196204890308041/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/167196204886645353/


http://www.pinterest.com/pin/167196204886044913/


I have to say I had SOOOO much fun helping plan this shower. Kate's family did all the work but it was so much adding lil details. Here are a few snapshots of the shower and how the Pinterest inspiration turned out.

Kate's sister Brenna assembled these adorable favors that included ginger snaps and a tea bag with a K stamped on them.
 One thing Kate was adamant out was no games! So I saw this idea on Pinterest where each wedding guest writes down a future data night idea. That way Kate and her husband can pull out different ideas for their dates. Of course we had the very traditional dates and the very comical and expensive dates. I saw this idea on Pinterest and thought it would be perfect!
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/167196204887827998/
This is what our idea looked like! Each guest received a note at their table setting that included a small poem and what they needed to do. When they were done filling out the date night idea they brought it to the jar near the gift table. All of the stationary and tags that were used were from Martha Stewart which I bought on Amazon


This is just one of the many pretty table settings they had. Notice the different shades of pink lanterns they had hanging from the trees in the far right corner.
 I found these wine labels from Martha Stewart on Amazon and fell in love. We put these on most of the wine bottles and bubbly. It was a great way to make sure that all the wine bottles matched our color scheme.
 This was my idea that I am sure you have seen all over Pinterest. Who doesn't love a Mimosa bar. Kate's sister Ellen helped make the banner. I bought the paper and banner from Martha Stewart on Amazon. The water bottles and the fruit containers I bought at Ikea and they were super cheap. We filled them with orange juice, peach nectar, strawberry liquor and raspberry liquor. Then each flavor also had a corresponding fruit. The sign I actually just downloaded from online. Of course I forgot to pin the link so I apologize!




 I told you Kate's family can cook! Kate's family made all sorts of tea sandwiches! Everything from the traditional cucumber sandwiches to lobster rolls! We were in New England after all. They also had a sign printed on the table so everyone could figure out what sandwiches were being served. I forgot to mention did you notice the china dishes? All of the food was served on antique china which really helped make this a garden tea party!

And then we had the dessert  and tea table which we setup right after Kate opened up her presents. Filled with madelines, eclairs, and the most adorable little rose cupcakes. Kate's mom made every single one of those roses for the cupcakes. I told you this family is talented!! They also served three different kinds of tea and had little frames describing what kind of tea was in each pot.



Obviously after seeing this shower, I knew who to call when it came time to my shower. I wanted something small. I knew it was going to be held on a Saturday in July so I wanted to make sure my Boston friends didn't have to travel to far to get to it. The shower was hosted at Kate's, and not only did my bridesmaids do an amazing job, we also had help from Kate's family.

Here are some snapshots of the day and the amazing food that Kate cooked and my bridesmaids decorated Kate's backyard in Boston!!

My bridesmaids ordered these delicious cookies and had them personalized as favors for all the guests to take when they leave.

 The most important table for a backyard garden party is the beverage table. There was a mimosa bar, sangria, spiked lemonade, wine, and more! I love Kate's serving pieces from PotteryBarn.
 The day of the shower we definitely had sunshine and the temperatures were in the high nineties. Those umbrellas definitely came and handy! I love the pom poms hanging from the umbrellas and the bunting along the picket fence. All the flowers were hydrangeas placed in mason jars.
 Kate outdid herself with the menu. We had 2 different types of gazpacho (tomato and watermelon) as appetizers as well as an asparagus tart. I actually had pinned the same recipe for the tart. Which you can find below the tart picture.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/167196204888317198/

 This was just the appetizers!
For lunch we had 2 different frittatas, salads, and assorted muffins and breads. 
 And the presents! I love the chair I had to open all my goodies. Everyone was so incredibly generous!!
 I also had a wishing well!! This wishing well was built by my friend Leilani's brother-in-law and we have used this at all of our friends wedding showers over the years. We love the wishing well!

 And of course I had to have a special chair to open my presents! What I loved about this chair in addition to the flowers, was that it was low to the ground. Easy to open and pass presents.
Wasn't I spoiled? I just love all the details that everyone put into my shower. It was the best day!

Happy Pinning!!
By Jennifer Shelton

No comments:

Post a Comment