I remember seeing a recipe for strawberry-rhubarb shortcake with whipped cream biscuits on Pinterest that sounded like the perfect dessert to have with dinner while we were eating outside!
The only tweak I would make to this recipe moving forward is to double the strawberry-rhubarb filling. Personally, I like my shortcake where the strawberry yumminess seeps into the biscuits!!
This recipe was originally from Yankee Magazine - May 2012
Strawberry-Rhubarb Filling: Double this if you like lots of filling!
- 1lb medium-size strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb (about 2 stalks)
- Pinch table salt
Mix berries with 1/4 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons of orange juice in a medium-size bow. Toss gently and set aside.
In a small saucepan, combine rhubarb, remaining 1/2 cup sugar and salt. Set over medium heat to cook, stirring, until sugar melts and liquids are simmering nicely, 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Rhubarb will soften as it sits.
Add berries and stir. Set aside.
Whipped Cream Biscuits
- Unsalted butter (to grease baking sheet0
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour, plus extra for work surface
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Freshly grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup heavy cream, plus extra for biscuits
- Course or granulated sugar
Preheat over to 400 degrees. Grease a baking sheet, and set aside.
In the bowl of a standing mixer (I used my hand mixer), whip cream until it forms firm peaks.
Using a 2-1/12 inch-wide biscuit cutter, cut biscuits and lay them on a baking sheet. Brush with extra cream and sprinkle with course or granulated sugar (I used Sugar in the Raw!).
Bake until golden, 15-17 minutes. Cool on racks.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Just before serving, make the whipped cream: Beat cream, sugar and vanilla until firm peaks form.
To plate, split each biscuit horizontally. Spoon berry and rhubarb mixture on bottom half, cover with top half. Garnish with whipped cream. ENJOY!!
For other summer recipes make sure to check out my Pinterest page.
By Jennifer Shelton