Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Cleaning Out The Fridge - Chicken with Brussels Sprouts

This morning I was making breakfast and noticed that I had some brussels sprouts that I bought and forgot to use. I also had some chicken in the freezer and decided to look on Pinterest for some recipe ideas. I found this great recipe that myrecipes.com posted for chicken with brussels sprouts!


http://www.pinterest.com/pin/167196204890509198/
I had most of the ingredients on hand and only had to make a few substitutions!! I didn't have apple cider so I used apple juice, and then to the brussels sprouts I cut up two apples. I am sure you can make this side dish and also serve with pork.

Ingredients


  • 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided 
  • (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 3/8 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 3/4 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth, divided
  • 1/4 cup unfiltered apple cider (I used apple juice since I didn't have apple cider)
  • 2 tablespoons whole-grain Dijon mustard 
  • 2 tablespoons butter, divided 
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (I didn't have this on hand so I omitted)
  • 12 ounces Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
  • 2 Apples cubed (not in the original recipe but I added)

First pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees. I used my Le Creuset pan to sear the chicken for 3 minutes in olive oil. I also salted/peppered the chicken the on each side before putting it in the oven to cook for 10-12 minutes. Be VERY VERY VERY careful when removing this pan. I had a normal potholder on my hand and it was too hot for me to hold. I had to use a glove potholder and then a regular pot holder.


In a separate pan, eat remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add Brussels sprouts and apples; sauté 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Add remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/4 cup broth to pan; cover and cook 4 minutes or until crisp-tender.

Remove chicken from pan; keep warm. Heat pan over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 cup broth and cider (I used apple juice); bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 4 minutes or until thickened. Whisk in mustard, 1 tablespoon butter, and parsley (if you have it!). 


I also served rice pilaf with the meal! It was delish!!


I could also see making this recipe with pork chops or pork loin as well! Definitely check this recipe out and let me know how you make this as well!

Happy Pinning!

By Jennifer Shelton

No comments:

Post a Comment